Friday, March 11, 2011

No Pity Photo Shoot Part Deux

After the popularity of the first round of the 'No Pity' photo shoot that brought out Timbers supporters in droves, I was bummed I'd missed out. I could easily have gone myself, as I work mere blocks form the Timbers temporary team store downtown, but I wanted my picture taken with my two young lads, and the times just didn't work out the first go round. Given a second chance, I knew I couldn't miss out. And then I nearly did.

Failing to have updated my e-mail address with the Timbers, the invite to RSVP had been lost in a Hotmail junk folder, and by the time I figured it out, the RSVP list was closed. Desperate, I e-mailed the Timbers to see if there was any chance of getting in. Waiting on bated breath, the Timbers Director of Ticket Services, Chris Wilson, pulled some strings and told me if I could get down to the store today, they could squeeze me in. I gladly accepted the offer and ran home at lunch to grab my Timbers gear and headed back downtown to wait with eager anticipation.

Stoked and grateful, I arranged to have my boys brought downtown, and with them fully kitted out in Timbers scarves and jerseys, they at first proved a bit apprehensive about stepping in front of the camera and the professional photography setup. Not unheard of for 4 and 6 year olds, but once they were handed a few axes to hold, their demeanor quickly changed and the camera shyness transformed into raw aggression as they wielded their new weapons as junior members of the Timbers Army. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pics turned out, it'll be a proud moment for this headband wearing father of two.

I must say, the Timbers have really tapped into the pulse of Portland with their No Pity billboard campaign, there's a fine line between grassroots authenticity and corporate marketing, and the Timbers have struck a nice balance between getting paid and making the supporters consider themselves an integral part of it all. They won't always make the right decisions every time, but management is savvy enough to know they must keep the Timbers Army in their corner to grow the club.

I'll post the pic once the Timbers wrap up the photo shoot this weekend. Even if you don't have a spot reserved for this go round, I'd encourage you to cruise by the store and feel the buzz and excitement. We're just over a week away from the opening kickoff at Colorado, and I for one simply can't wait.Adidas MLS Portland Timbers Tropheo Soccer Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment